ACE Trains E/26 Class 439 CL 0-4-4T Ex CL, LMS and BR 2P Tank Locomotives
The last batch of 0-4-4T tank locomotives emanates from the turn of the previous century. The Caledonian Railway 439 Class locomotives were introduced by John F. McIntosh, the Caledonian Railway’s Chief Mechanical Engineer in 1900. A later modified version was introduced by William Pickersgill who succeeded McIntosh after his death as Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Superintendent in 1915. A total of 92 locomotives were built between 1900 and 1925 the last batch of production coming under London Midland Scottish (LMS) colours. Again a robust and industrious class of locomotive some 74 passed in to BR ownership in 1948. One of the 439 class No: 419 (later LMS No: 15189 and then BR No: 55189) has survived into preservation and is now attached to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society.
The ACE Class 439 0-4-4T locomotive straddles a number of railway eras from pre-grouping Caledonian Railway, LMS and British Railways times. Each locomotive comes with a combination of clear or jewelled lamps, two red lamps and white discs.