ACE Trains E/25 Class G5 0-4-4T Ex NER, LNER and BR Tank Locomotives
The G5 again heralds from the Victorian era when in 1893 Wilson Worsdell, the North Eastern Railway (NER) locomotive superintendent designed the Class G5 (originally known as the Class O) 0-4-4T tank locomotive. A total of 110 of these locomotives were built in seven batches between 1894 and 1901 and became the standard NER passenger tank locomotive until 1907 when the larger A8 class was introduced. The NER G5 0-4-4T was an incredibly robust locomotive and operated in the rugged conditions of the north east of the country for 60 years with only minor modifications such as cages to the coal bunkers (providing increased capacity and range) being necessary. With railway grouping in 1923 the tank locomotive grouping became known as the G5 class under the LNER locomotive class system. The last example of the G5 was withdrawn in 1958 but unfortunately, none of the class survived into preservation. The Class 5 Locomotive Company intends to raise funds to build and operate a new-build G5 locomotive.
The ACE G5 0-4-4T locomotive covers a number of railway periods from pre-grouping, the Big Four and British Railways eras. Each engine comes with a combination of clear or jewelled lamps, two red lamps and white discs.